Birthdays are a great time for self-reflection and an opportunity to remember all of the exciting things you have accomplished over the past year. I can’t believe another year has come and gone and that I am that much closer to the big 3-0!
This is one of the first years I can say that I fully embraced the person that I am and leaned into that weird, uncool and creative side of myself. I have never felt more confident in who I am and where my life is headed.
These are the life lessons I learned over the last 27 years:
- Sunsets get better with age.
- Embrace your uncool and own it.
- People are always going to talk. You may as well give them something to talk about.
- Your body physically starts hurting at this age.
- Never take a single second for granted.
- That bag of all dressed chips is going straight to your hips.
- Getting outside your comfort zone is the secret to exponential growth.
- Comparison is the thief of joy.
- The news is a dark hole of negativity.
- Music has the power to change your mood.
- The sun will always come up tomorrow.
- The rainbow is a smart functional system, it’s orderly, and it’s really beautiful to look at.
- Start every day with gratitude.
- You will forever be hoping that you can shop in America again for a reasonable price.
- You will get over the end of Hannah Montana and love Miley Cyrus again.
- Marrying your best friend is one of the coolest experiences of your life.
- Sleeping in gets harder as you get older. But naps get better.
- Your friend group gets smaller but the bonds with your friends get tighter.
- It gets harder to get back into routine if you fall out of it.
- Being kind will always be cool.
- Be happy you didn’t grow up as a teenager in the age of Instagram and Tik Tok
- You will see what you choose to see; shift your perspective.
- Sunscreen and water are your best friends.
- Dogs are good preparation for children but you won’t be able to leave them outside for five hours when you need a ‘break’.
- Family is forever.
- Disconnect often and enjoy the moment.
- Today is the youngest you will be. Make the most of it.
Song of the Week: Gimme What I Want – Miley Cyrus
Quote of the Week: “I’m not getting old. I’m getting better.”
Netflix Show/Movie of the Week: Virgin River